1) Take a Direct Flight - flying direct will ensure that your luggage only has to go on one airplane, no switching flights which can increase the result of lost bags.
2) Use the Main Check-In Counter - the line may be long but it is better to use the main counter for checking your bags on your flight as they will go directly onto the conveyor belt in front of your eyes.
3) Be Early for Your Flight - running late will most likely put your bags at risk for making the flight. Allow plenty of time in the event that your luggage gets held up, that way there is time for it to make it on the plane.
4) Luggage Tags are Extremely Important - as this may be the only way to identify your bags, be sure to have a quality luggage tag that states your name, address and phone number or email.
5) Make your Bag Stand Out - many suitcases are not actually lost, but are picked up by the wrong person as so many of the bags look the same. A bright and unique luggage handle wrap may help with identifying your bag quickly and easily to avoid any mishaps.
These travel tips should lessen the stress of you loseing your luggage and help you to relax a little knowing you are well prepared!